Would you like to learn more about neurologic physical therapy practice? Or, are you an established neurologic Physical Therapist who is ready to share their knowledge and experience with others? The Academy of Neurologic Physical Therapy has a Mentoring Program designed to help you!
This program is designed for clinicians at all stages of experience, from PT/PTA students, to new grads, and also for those experienced therapists looking to expand their clinical practice knowledge. This program empowers our members (PTs, PTAs, SPTs, and SPTAs) to take responsibility for their professional development through the support of an experienced and established neurologic physical therapist mentor.
In this program, the learner is called a ‘Mentee’ (a.k.a. Protégé), and the clinician providing the guidance is the ‘Mentor’. Are you ready to begin your journey to increased knowledge and skills? Read ‘How it works’ and follow the ‘Instructions for prospective mentees/protégés’ sections below, and follow the link to fill out your form to begin. If you are looking to become a Mentor with the Academy of Neurologic Physical Therapy, Follow the ‘Instructions for prospective mentors’ below.
The Academy of Neurologic Physical Therapy maintains a LIST OF MENTORS who are experts in Neurologic PT practice, clinical education, research, and/or teaching.
Mentees can search the database and identify a Mentor with whom they would like to make contact. The Academy of Neurologic Physical Therapy will help to make the introduction.
Once the introduction takes place, it is up to the Mentee and Mentor to establish the framework and ground rules of their relationship (see documents below).
Mentees and mentors will be added to an email list to receive notification of Academy of Neurologic Physical Therapy mentoring events at APTA conferences.
Instructions for prospective mentees/protégés:
- Complete this MENTEE FORM
- You will then be prompted to search for a mentor. You can search based on location or specialty area, or you can view the entire list of mentors. Select 3 mentors who would fit your mentoring needs, and we will confirm the availability of one of these before connecting you.
- Review the resources below to prepare you to begin your mentoring relationship.
- We should respond within 10 business days. We can’t always guarantee a perfect match. The Academy, Chapters, and APTA may have alternative options for mentoring through the listservs, Facebook, or Twitter.
Instructions for prospective mentors:
- Complete this MENTOR FORM.
- You should receive a confirmation message and your information will be added to the searchable database of mentors.
- You may be matched with a mentee quickly. However, it may take longer to receive a mentoring request, depending on the interests of our mentees. We will touch base with you periodically regarding your interest in remaining Academy mentor.
Resource Documents for Mentees and Mentees